Welcome to my home page
On the website of the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures at the University of Notre Dame, visit the page describing my research and the courses I teach. Also view French courses offered in my department this semester and upper-level courses taught on a regular basis in my department.
I am a Fellow of the Nanovic Institute for European Studies and the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies. From 2003 to 2005, I served as president of the association Conseil International d'Études Francophones (CIÉF), and from 2004 to 2009 I served as Editor of Nouvelles Études Francophones (NEF), the scholarly journal of the association.
My favorite authors and other literary interests:
Anna de Noailles
- Historian of North Africa and specialist of the Middle East Osama Abi-Mershed, September 2011
- Ten years later: William C. Carter returns to Notre Dame!
- Award-winning novelist from Mauritius, Ananda Devi, March 2009
- Novelist and essayist Chahdortt Djavann, November 2005, January 2008
- French singer Tangi Colombel, December 2007
- Award-winning French biographer Évelyne Bloch-Dano, November 2007
- Jean-Marc Pasquet, Shamanistic writer from Haiti and Switzerland, March 2006
- French philosopher of Moroccan origins, Daniel Sibony, April 2005
- Socio-linguist Louis-Jean Calvet, April 2005 (Distinguished European Lecturer, Nanovic Institute for European Studies) and March 2003 (presented the movie Petits Frères)
- Jacques De Decker, "Secrétaire perpétuel" of the Académie Royale de Langue et de Littérature Française de Belgique, March 2005
- Werewere Liking from Ivory Coast, and her dance troupe the Ki-Yi Mbock, March 2004
- French singer Jacques Yvart, November 2003
- Acclaimed French film director Jean-Pierre Améris (presented Mauvaises Fréquentations and C'est la vie), November 2002
- French singer Éric Vincent, November 2002
- Medieval and nineteenth-century scholar Emanuel Mickel, November 2002
- Best-selling Moroccan writer and Human Rights victim Malika Oufkir, with Susan Slyomovics, April 2001
- Celebrated feminist critic Naomi Schor, February 2001 (in memoriam, with great sadness)
- Brilliant French novelist Anne Garréta, December 2000
- Applauded Proust biographer William C. Carter, September 2000